Up until the 1920's Alton was located on the main line of the Chicago and Alton Railroad. The construction of the Alton Cut-Off line between Godrey and Wann eliminated a bad grade, street running, and the problem with flooding associated with the line located right on the east bank of the Mississippi River. What resulted was a freight-only operation served by crews based out of Wann Yard. A pair of Alco S-2 switchers were the usual power for the Alton Job.
On the GM&O Eastern Division we included part of the Old Main Line as a switching district. Pictured below are shots of Laclede Steel and the general switching district.